Categories
North Macedonia

Northern Macedonia: Former UBK Commander Sao Mijalkov Wanted by Police

“Northern Macedonia Police have been searching for Sašo Mijalkov, former director of the Gruevski Security and Counterintelligence Service (UBK) of the Gruevski administration, since Sunday afternoon, after a court issued a house arrest warrant pending. Target – “Fortesa case” is announced on February 26. Mijalkov is the main defendant in this case and in her statement prosecutor Lence Risteska called for the maximum sentence.

At the request of the public prosecutor, the Criminal Court issued a house arrest warrant for Sašo Mijalkov. Police have been searching for Mijalkov since yesterday afternoon at his Kapishtec apartment, his house in Vodno and the Marriott Hotel, where Mijalkov last appeared around 2pm in the Café District, near the Marriott Hotel.

Following the final positions of the defense and the prosecutor’s office, the decision in the “Target-Fortress” case is set for February 26, in which 12 people are charged and Mijalkov is the main defendant. He is charged with running a criminal organization, abuse of power and bribery for illegal influence, the last of which expires at the end of February.

“Although these are crimes for which a maximum sentence of up to 5 years is provided, still taking into account the consequences of a crime and the impact it has on people’s lives as a result of illegal interceptions in their communications and its impact on society as “On the whole, we believe that there is no obstacle for the defendants Sašo Mijalkov, Goran Grujevski and Nadica Nikolic as the founders of the group that will be sentenced to the maximum prison sentence for each of the crimes they have been charged with,” said prosecutor Lence Ristoska. court last week

During the February 19 hearing, Mijalkov stated that illegal telephone monitoring in the country from 2008 to 2015 had not been carried out by UBK services. He alleged that he did not take part in the interception of telephone conversations and the destruction of communication surveillance equipment. As he claimed, there were other eavesdropping systems in place besides those of the UBK.

So far, there have been no indications that former secret police chief Sašo Mijalkov would try to escape, stressing the need to issue a central arrest warrant. He regularly attended all court hearings and prepared his defense. If he escaped, it will definitely be known today.

On social media, angry citizens fear that the incident with Nikola Gruevski, who fled to Hungary, where he was granted asylum by local authorities, could be repeated.

Regarding Mijalkov’s possible escape, VMRO-DPMNE leader Hristijan Mickoski demanded the resignation of the government by posting the following message on Facebook:

“I said a long time ago that the mafia has its own state. There is no end that they have not reached. Resignation of the Government immediately! “Mickoski posted on Facebook.

VMRO-DPMNE had expelled Mijalkov from its ranks and the current party leadership had presented him as one of the most important steps in purging the party and as a kind of purge.

By court decision, Mijalkov was deprived of his passport long ago and is on the list of “not leaving” the country, which means that he can not leave the country through official border crossing points.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *